Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Men and women need to coexist, not compete: Embrace your God-given role women...

I am all for women's empowerment and I consider myself a strong black woman but I also believe men and women have different roles and we need to embrace our roles and not fight it. I refuse to be the angry black woman. There's sometimes a thin line between being progressive and successful as a woman and becoming that person that nobody can live with. I discuss this in depth in my book The Only Way is Up.
The way I look at it is this. There can only be one captain of the ship. There is only one president. He is assisted on the one hand by the vice president and on the other by the first lady. But the bulk stops with him and if something goes wrong, he is responsible, because he is the head. In the home, the husband is the head of the home. The wife is his partner standing by his side, not behind him. But when push comes to shove, he is the protector and he is responsible for caring for his family and protecting them. This is regardless of whether the woman works or not. Being a successful strong woman does not preclude us from being a wife and a good one at that. We just need to keep working on that balance.
The word submission in the Bible is met with so much resistance because people think it means subservience but it doesn't. It just refers to the fact that the ship cannot have 2 captains.
What are your thoughts? Feel free to shoot me down; I'm a big girl! Lol.

3 comments:

  1. You need to get a lot more people to see this blog. You will be surprised how helpful it will be to a lot of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree all the way. I could actually preach a sermon on this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. Please send people my way. You men were initially assuming I set this up for male bashing but I am a different kind of woman as you will find out...
    I post it to my fb profile and fan page but I can't make people come if they don't want to! Lol. It's a new blog anyway so we'll see...
    Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete